Ruby 2008 by Chris Budgeon
I chose this as my favourite print, where there is a young girl standing in front of a dead tree on a dark, overcast evening. Everywhere in the image appears to be dark but the girl has a soft light shining over where she stands.
I really like this shot as I felt the young girl at the same time was feeling intimidated was overpowering as she was the brightest subject in the frame of the image. I felt this photograph portrayed how children express their feelings as well as how they cope with their surroundings and their environment.

Image to Cut
Nina and Paul 2008 by Emma Thomson
I chose this portrait as the image I would cut from the competition as I did not really see it as a portrait simply for the fact that it wasn't a striking representation of the subjects within the frame. It was sexually overt in the way the subjects portrayed themselves. The man photographing his wife was a simplistic idea and I did not find it appealing. The frame was messy and had too much going on. I found it flat and not visually appealing. It showed the photographer in my point of view only had a basic understanding of how to operate a camera.

Images from http://www.portrait.gov.au/site/NPPP2009.php

No comments:
Post a Comment